With well over 600 trails across Western Australia deciding which ones to explore can be a difficult decision - especially if you have limited time!.
The aim of the Top Trails project is to identify the best trails in each region, and promote them cooperatively to bring more visitors to regional areas of Western Australia
164 nominations were received for walk (92), cycle (15), dive/snorkel(11), equestrian (14), canoe (14) and motorised (18) trails.
The nominated trails were located all over the State and assessed against the criteria below by an Assessment panel including some of WA's well known trail users.
To be included in the TopTrailsWA project, the trails needed to be of a high standard and provide a memorable or unique experience. Ideally, the trail will already have:
* appropriate signage – directional trail marking, distance and locational
* maps, guide books and track notes if required
* interpretative material and information if appropriate
* management and maintenance plans
* community support (e.g. friends group or Shire involvement)
* a promotional brochure
* good information available on a website
If a trail had the ‘WOW’ factor but fell short in one of these areas the team worked with the trailmanager(s) to bring it up to standard.
The nominations were assessed taking the following factors into consideration:
* the quality of the experience
* point of difference
* cultural awareness
* nearby facilities and services
This is an Australian Government funded initiative under the Australian Tourism Development Program.