Trailtalk

Western Australia's premier trails social network

Other new trails around WA... or old trails worthy of a new look!

TopTrailsWA identifies the top 50+ trails experiences across Western Australia - but there are over 500 other great trails worthy of a visit!

If you have details about other trails, new or old, leave us comments here so we can all share the experiences and get out to find more amazing places!

Views: 331

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I believe there is a real opportunity to get a walk trail going from The Cut at Dawesville to Bunbury. In the shadow of the Cape to Cape Track, it could take in the lakes around Yalgorup National Park, Lake Preston, The Estuary near Australind, the beaches in between The Cut and Bunbury. There appears to be multiple unofficial vehicle tracks linking these areas together. You only have to take a look at Google Maps to understand what I mean.

Futher abroad, I would like to see a trail that links Burra Rock, Cave Hill and Victoria Rock forming a "golden triangle" of these significant Goldfields landmarks. There are also many smaller (but named) rocks in between that would serve as fantastic sub sections.

These rocks boast fresh water (held in dams) too. So whilst the area is remote, it isnt without reliable water. Again, get on google and explore.

I am more than happy ot lead the charge to develop these areas further.
Sounds like you have some great ideas for new trails development.
I have highlighted your comment to members of the Trails Asasessment Group for LotteryWest funding as they may be able to assist you in possible funding/assistance you can receive to further develop your ideas!
Great work!
That would be terrific and I hope they view my suggestion with some seriousness. The Peel Region has a lot to offer and a high standard walk trail within 200km of Perth would be a great drawcard and I believe is more than feasible using existing campgrounds (Martin's Tank) and caravan parks (Myalup, Binningup, Australind).
Hi Ness,
I read with great interest that a walk trail is planned for the Fitzgerald NP. I plan to walk from Cape Arid to Albany in 2010 to re-enact a walk by James Manning & Jimmy Newell in 1835. They had been allowed to leave Middle
Island by Black Jack Anderson who dropped them off at Cape Arid, allegedly without provisions, leaving them to walk to King George Sound in aprox., 7 weeks. There has been intermittent discussion over the years re: a track
between Esperance & Albany. Do you think this could eventuate one day ?
Hi Stuart,

We are talking with DEC about the possibilty of extending the Bibbulmun all the way through to Hopetoun, but that's a long way off. We only got involved in the Fitzgerald planning because of the Premier's plan to build a road in th Fitzgerald to offset the economic loss of the BHP Nickel Mine. Obviously, there is no way a place like the Fitzgerald could, or should, sustain a road with it's incredible conservation and wilderness values.

There is some evidence that there are some dieback issues in the Park currently, but road access would really encourage more disbursal of the disease though out the Park and that's something we have to prevent. The Trail idea was to give the Premier an option that took more consideration of the value of the Fitzgerald flora and fauna. A trail, we felt, was more in keeping with what the wider community might find an acceptable practice.

While a managed trail may not be entirely suitable, and some would argue that we are 'managing our wilderness to death', it was the best option of what plans were acceptable to the Government. In our opinion it will help to preserve the Fitzgerald into the future by garnering local support as well as support from the wider Trails Community.

I have began discussions with the Board in regards to the idea of possibly having some Maintenance Volunteers, managed by the BTF, help look after the Trail when it's completed, but that too is in it's infancy at the moment. We also have to consider the views other community groups that will have an interest in this situation, like the Friends of the Fitzgerald who I am sure will have a position on this, although I haven't been in contact with them.

Hope this all makes sense?! And I hope you and Mary had a great Xmas? I rpesume you've been tripping around the south west in that van of yours and maintaning the Rame Head Campsite within an inch of it's life!!

Cheers,
Mike Wood

Stuart Gray said:
Hi Ness,
I read with great interest that a walk trail is planned for the Fitzgerald NP. I plan to walk from Cape Arid to Albany in 2010 to re-enact a walk by James Manning & Jimmy Newell in 1835. They had been allowed to leave Middle
Island by Black Jack Anderson who dropped them off at Cape Arid, allegedly without provisions, leaving them to walk to King George Sound in aprox., 7 weeks. There has been intermittent discussion over the years re: a track
between Esperance & Albany. Do you think this could eventuate one day ?
Some great info on this site regarding the proposed and absolutely ridiculous idea to build infrastructure through the Fitzgerald national Park
Oh what a great idea, I live in Mandurah so a walk trail from "The cut" to "Bunbury" would be great. I am on board for that one.

Karen

On Track Hiking Hire said:
I believe there is a real opportunity to get a walk trail going from The Cut at Dawesville to Bunbury. In the shadow of the Cape to Cape Track, it could take in the lakes around Yalgorup National Park, Lake Preston, The Estuary near Australind, the beaches in between The Cut and Bunbury. There appears to be multiple unofficial vehicle tracks linking these areas together. You only have to take a look at Google Maps to understand what I mean.

Futher abroad, I would like to see a trail that links Burra Rock, Cave Hill and Victoria Rock forming a "golden triangle" of these significant Goldfields landmarks. There are also many smaller (but named) rocks in between that would serve as fantastic sub sections.

These rocks boast fresh water (held in dams) too. So whilst the area is remote, it isnt without reliable water. Again, get on google and explore.

Hi

I am involved in the DSR side of the Trails Grant Program and would appreciate a little more information on your trail proposals/thoughts. I can certainly pass your ideas on to the DSR managers in the areas concerned. Additionally if you have a view of progressing any trail developments I am most happy to discuss. Cheers.

On Track Hiking Hire said:

Steve

I have more info on my proposed trail and want to get it in front of someone to have a serious look at it. Could you supply me with a name and mailing address please?

Dave
Hi Dave
Your first point of contact would best be Shonagh Bradstock, Peel Trails Group. (Woops - just noticed that you're already in contact with her - ignore this message!)
cheers
Linda
Id like to start discussions on creating a mtb trail link of the mundabiddi to the lennard trails system(also localy known as the Pile rd trails) in the wellington National park.

This would be a spurr off the mundabiddi, connecting aprox 30+ km of quality singltrack trails in the tourism rich area of Furguson Valley.

The Lennard trails system is relativly unkown, however it is one of the few trails systems in WA which is signposted, with trail head maps, car parking, and close to popular tourism destinations like breweries and wineries.
Grizzlys trail is one section that is on the Top Trails list which is currently in the finishing stages of a massive upgrade.

A link connecting the Lennard trails with the Mundabiddi can easily be achived using existing blocked off logging tracks. The change in elevation is very minimal, leading to a beginners pedal friendly ride. I have very closely reseached an alignment, which would need apporx 1km of single track to be made, with approval of DEC. The total link would be about 6-7 kms.

I have informaly discussed this with a few people, and we agree it is a good idea that needs further research.
It would open up the the trails and compliment the eco toursim and provide a nature based recreation experience.

I believe this trails link is a must.

RSS

© 2022   Created by Trailtalk.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service