Trailtalk

Western Australia's premier trails social network

Establishing an iconic trail is a bit of a challenge for someone who's been a desk jockey most of his life: so all advice/suggestions are most welcome! The trail is inspired by the Camino Di Santiago, and will run from Subiaco to New Norcia. More details can be found at http://thepilgrimstrail.blogspot.com
So far the enthusiasm and encouragement has been awesome, but we want to make sure that we do everything to the best of our ability: and that means learning from the experience of others. Over to you...

Views: 207

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is now a LotteryWest funding application round open for trails related projects that this project would fall into - have you seen the details on that?
Thanks Ness, I've just got back from OS and Liz S has forwarded the links about the funding. But any advice/support I can get is more than welcome. :)

Ness Bradshaw said:
There is now a LotteryWest funding application round open for trails related projects that this project would fall into - have you seen the details on that?
Hi

I guess for me the first question is what sort of walkers are you looking to attract to the trail? Supported day walkers or "serious" backpackers or both? Understanding this will also influence the infrastructure of the trail.

Also will horses and/or bikes be welcome on the trail?

Regards
Andrew
The concept is based on the original Camino in Spain, so its for all walkers, especially those with a sense of history and those who have a spirituality (of all shapes and varieties!). The Spanish Camino does allow for mountain bikes and I would like to think that the Pilgrims Trail does eventually cater for them too: my only reservation is that we make sure that motor bikes cannot access the route for obvious reasons. Our current biggest challenge is to get off the Great Northern Highway for the last 50ks: so an alternative would be to walk towards Toodjay and then head north from there: this in fact would mimic the original Monks route: so any feedback I can get on that part of the route would be most welcome too.
What local councils will the trail pass through? The reason I ask is that most have a GIS department these days that will have access to some great maps which I am sure would be a good start.

I would also agree with Andrew that a better understanding of the intention of the trail and what facilities are going to be made available would also be a good start. Is it intended to be a 'long' distance hike or broken down by a series of accessible vehicle pickup and drop off points.

Cheers
Thanks Mark: the first walk was done in August and went via Chittering and Bindoon, the last 50ks was on the highway which we need to change, so we're looking at possible alternative strategies.
The first is to find a track from Bindoon to NN which is not highway (easier said than done!!)
The second scenario would take us up the railway track from Walyunga to Toodyay via the Avon Valley: have a one day stop-over in Toodyay and then up via the Old Plain road to NN.
We would need to coordinate transport from various appropriate spots to and from Toodyay/Bolgart and Calingri for the larger groups, and the aim would be to eventually provide shelters along the route for smaller groups etc
The intention of the trail is to provide a "walking experience" which starts in the City and takes you slowly out into the bush through some beautiful countryside: it's symbolic of pilgrimage whereby you "leave your world" and simplify things: add in the elements of being out of your comfort zone, hard yakka, achievement of goals, time for reflection, add in a touch of spirituality by going through Walyunga which is very important for Aboriginal spirituality, and NN which has the Monastic history, and you have a trail with a different "flavour".
We've had great response with Chittering Shire, CIty of Swan, Town of Subiaco, Perth City and are currently talking with Victoria Plains and Toodyay.
Has anyone any information regarding using the service track for the Avon Valley rail link?

Mark McLauchlin said:
What local councils will the trail pass through? The reason I ask is that most have a GIS department these days that will have access to some great maps which I am sure would be a good start.

I would also agree with Andrew that a better understanding of the intention of the trail and what facilities are going to be made available would also be a good start. Is it intended to be a 'long' distance hike or broken down by a series of accessible vehicle pickup and drop off points.

Cheers
Thanks Duncan, good to hear, looks like this could be my next walk.

As for the Avon Valley rail link, my father is very active in the train world so I will ask him the question, will let you know how I get on.

Cheers
Mark
Hi Duncan,
I am a freelance writer and I am very keen to hear more about this track and would love the opportunity to hike it and write an article on it.
When do you expect it to be open to hikers?
It sounds like an incredible hike and an amazing concept.
Cheers,
Dawn
It IS exciting and the first group walk was a fantastic success. However, with the current bush fires in Toodyay and NE Metro Perth, we are acutely aware of the dangers of trail walking during the summer months, so I suspect that we wont be opening the trail again until well into Autumn: but keep an eye on the Pilgrims Trail Blog which will announce things as they happen.
More than happy to contact you direct if you want to find out more details.

GBTA Trail Tours said:
Hi Duncan,
I am a freelance writer and I am very keen to hear more about this track and would love the opportunity to hike it and write an article on it.
Cheers,
Dawn
Thanks Duncan!
I would love to get a few more details if possible. My email address is: dawnmariegreen@gmail.com
Cheers,
Dawn

Duncan Jefferson said:
It IS exciting and the first group walk was a fantastic success. However, with the current bush fires in Toodyay and NE Metro Perth, we are acutely aware of the dangers of trail walking during the summer months, so I suspect that we wont be opening the trail again until well into Autumn: but keep an eye on the Pilgrims Trail Blog which will announce things as they happen.
More than happy to contact you direct if you want to find out more details.

GBTA Trail Tours said:
Hi Duncan,
Cheers,
Dawn

RSS

© 2022   Created by Trailtalk.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service